In my research I found that fish oil:
- Promotes heart health (Omega-3 fats)
- Reduces inflammatory and healthy joints (important for active people)
- Supports mental health since omega-3′s are concentrated in the brain
- Promotes eye health
- Is important in pregnancy (check with your doctor)
- Promotes fat metabolism (According to the National Institutes of Health, omega-3s trigger “I’m full” signals to the brain and help quash hunger signals. Research has also shown that fish oil improves the efficacy of exercise in reducing weight. Volunteers who were given fish oil diet showed greater weight loss as compared to those who did not consume fish oil diet. Exercise combined with fish oil had a positive effect on the body shape and body composition of the patients.) – fishoilblog.com
- lowers risk for prostate, breast and colorectol cancers
So, there are my answers….I’m thinking the reason that most competitors take Fish Oil is for the fat metabolism and to help with hunger when on a low calorie diet.
I pulled a lot of my information from fishoilblog.com so who knows if it’s accurate, but then again, is anything on the internet or with supplements really? There is other great info on that website (though I’m not sure how accurate) about dosage and what to look for in a fish oil supplement.
Any other effects?