I looked up the side effects of a short term use of oral corticosteroids. Here’s what I found. I’m scared!!!
They affect your entire body instead of just a particular area, this form is the most likely to cause significant side effects. Side effects depend on the dose of medication you receive. Within days or weeks of starting oral therapy, you may have an increased risk of:
- Sleep disturbance / insomnia
- Increased appetite
- Psychological effects such as increased or decreased energy
- Elevated pressure in the eyes (glaucoma)
- Fluid retention, causing swelling in your lower legs
- Increased blood pressure
- Mood swings
- Weight gain, with fat deposits in your abdomen, face and the back of your neck
- Rare but more worrisome side effects of a short course of corticosteroids include: mania, psychosis, heart failure, peptic ulceration, diabetes and aseptic necrosis of the hip.
O.M.G. That list just talked me out of using them. Am I crazy to not use them?
My thoughts? I’m really thinking that I need some more weight gain, insomnia, mood swings and fluid retention/swellling in my lower legs! [read: sarcasm]
Looking for advice on this topic!! Thanks in advance!