No surprise here….TRANS FATS ARE BAD! Basically what I’m coming up with in ALL of my nutrition research is EAT REAL FOOD. Trans fat is NOT real food! The effects of trans fats are not all known, but we do know….
- Trans fats are not real food! Eat real food!
- Trans fats = greater chance of ovulatory infertility
- 4g / day of trans fats showed effects on fertility (BTW, 4g = one donut, 2T stick margarine or 1 med order of french fries!)
- Trans fats make the body more resilient to insulin (higher blood sugar + insulin = reduced fertility)
- Trans fats increase inflammation in the body which interferes w/ ovulation, conception and early embryonic development (BTW, it also assists in creating a great environment for disease…inflammation in the body = bad)
Read labels because 0 Trans Fats can mean that there are .49g of trans fats per serving and if you eat 2 servings, you’re essentially getting 2g of trans fats! When reading labels and eating out, look for trans fats here….
- partially hydrogenated soybean oil
- hard margarine
- commercially baked goods, cookies, crackers, donuts (pancake mixes, popcorn, granola, protein bars, etc)
- fast foods
- restaurant fried foods
- baking with shortening or hard margarine
There are a few companies that are finally getting on the bandwagon with cutting out trans fats. I’d like to give them a shout out! Let me know if you know of more!
- Ruby Tuesday
- Some Frito Lay products
- Trans Fat Free Crisco & Oreos
**Please remember that FATS are good, but TRANS FATS are bad! Make sure you are eating good fats, such as nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado, etc!**