This is one of my NEW FAVORITE dishes! I just love it! Remove the chicken and add more beans for a vegan dish!
- 1 T canola oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (I used much more)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (I used much more)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (I used much more)
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (I used less)
- 2 cups water
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes w/ jalapano peppers
- 15 oz can no-salt-added corn, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Read the instructions all the way through. I included the original recipe but added how I changed it. You can try it either way!
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. (Be careful to NOT let oil smoke – it is carcinogenic!) Season chicken w/ chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper on both sides. (I covered each breast in each as you can see in my photo and may add more next time.) Add chicken to the pot with oil. Let the chicken brown quickly (only 2 min per side).
- Remove chicken, then add rice and water to pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 20 min. (I skipped this step in the process since our brown basmati rice takes 45 min at least to cook, depending on how much water you use. I cooked it 3/4 of the way (30-40 min) in a separate pot and then added it to the mixture later, hence my rice being on top in the picture.)
- Meanwhile, mix beans, tomatoes (including juices), corn and garlic in a medium bowl. (I did this first)
- Layer chicken atop rice mixture, and top chicken with bean mixture. Cover and turn heat to medium-high until mixture begins to bubble; reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes more or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Serve topped with cilantro and sour cream, if desired.
Nutrition Facts (6 servings total) Facts are for original recipe but I think it needs less carbs so I reduced the rice since the recipe has corn and beans!
- 309 calories | 25 g protein | 52 g carbs | 5.5 g fat | 25 mg cholesterol | 588 mg sodium | 2 g sugar
Yes, that’s a paper plate. And, yes that’s my tiny portion. I wasn’t very hungry that night and I was tired so I didn’t make a pretty plate. And, yes I think that’s probably too large of a scoop of sour cream, but…it’s a small portion and you gotta live a little sometimes, right?! 🙂 The pic above is real life sometimes in my house. At least we didn’t eat out!
source: muscle and fitness hers magazine | Mar/Apr 2008