I’m sorry that tonight my brain is too fried for a “teaching” post as I promised. I am working on a few different posts – one on carbs and one on fiber that you should be seeing next. It’s been a rough week at work and a demanding week for my Masters Classes also! I plan to get some “quick tips” and posts up during my lunch breaks since I have lots of little tips and info that may not fill a huge post but that I still really want to share with you! Please let me know if you have any requests!!!
- 1 pound ground turkey or ostrich (I used Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey)
- 12 ounces medium-spicy salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried black beans
- Whole wheat/grain tortillas
- 8 ounce bag of shredded Mexican cheese
- Fat-free sour cream, to taste
- 1 fresh avocado
- Cook poultry in a skillet over high heat until it’s brown all the way through.
- Reduce heat, and add salsa and beans.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally until meat, salsa, and beans are smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- In a tortilla, place bean mixture, a small handful of shredded cheese, a spoonful of sour cream, and a couple slices of avocado.
- Roll it up and enjoy!
I hesitated to make this (because of the “refried” black beans) but when craving a burrito this tastes just like the real thing. We used regular black beans the first time and added some extra salt. Not as good. There are organic refried black beans by Amy’s Kitchen for a healthier alternative.
source: Oxygen Magazine | January 2004